Saturday, May 23, 2009

Jerusalem "The City Of Gold"



Religious men dancing at the Kotel (Western Wall)




City of David



Ohhh life. Everyday I wake up I realize how lucky I am to be living my life. Among all the uncertainty that comes with it and the minor details that frustrate, I really value and appreciate every healthy breath I take in. I'm so happy living in my mini dream, I truly feel lucky. The past few days have been amazing. I’m beginning to get used to the week here. Its Friday, the weekend has officially begun and the streets are buzzing with people preparing for Shabbat. Friday for Israel is Thursday for the rest of the world, and Sunday is just another work day. I woke up this morning and after an intense and invigorating workout, I spent the next few hours pretending to be on vacation at one of the neighborhood (and uhh very nice) hotel pools. Another beautiful day of sunshine. Later I paid a quick visit to the Shook to fill up my fridge for the weekend. Fridays at the shook are insane. So many crowds, I’m getting really good at dodging, bumping and shoving like a true Israeli, through the beautiful mess.

Yesterday we had an amazing trip through Jerusalem, even with nursing a minor hangover (meeting time- 6:45am, bed time- 5am) It was Steve's last night on our program (a gem of a human being, who’s enthusiasm, and thirst for life brightens up any room). We had to send him off the right way; I think Hebrew karaoke, a lot of dancing and bar hopping were involved. We will all miss you STEEEEEEEEAVE.

Back to Jerusalem. We traveled the city of David, went on a 45 minute walk through caves that were about 2 feet in width and at points, half my body in height. (Not for the claustrophobic individual!) The narrow caves were pitch black and we were guided only by our touch, sound of the person in front of us and when direly needed, flashlight. Oh I can’t forget to mention that through its entirety we were walking in cold, fresh, streaming water that reached my hips at one point. Pretty incredible.



Walking through the city of Jerusalem is so special. Every time I am there I get an intense sense of spirituality. I can’t really explain the feeling but its something that is pure, peaceful and makes me understand the essence of Judaism. The city itself is like nothing else I’ve ever seen, it’s purely magical. Situated high in the Judean Hills, it provides a unique combination of ancient history, spirituality and colorful cultures. It is the capital of Israel and is sacred to the world’s three main religions. Jerusalem’s architecture makes me feel as though I am traveling back in time thousands of years. In the Jewish Quarter you'll find a colorful, loud and busy narrow market where you can purchase: spices, beads, home-made soaps, fresh bread, sweets, jewelry, nargilas .. and well pretty much anything you can imagine. Obviously it comes with the crazy swindlers and obnoxious vendors, but that only makes it that much more captivating.




Something really special is that the entire city of Jerusalem is built out of one rock- limestone, the smoothest rock that made me dodge slipping hundreds of times. We spotted a few neighborhood kids surfing down steep limestone hills on their recess trying to impress and boast on who looked the "coolest" going down. So cute!

Later we visited the Western Wall also known as the"Kotel" the holiest of all that is holy in Judaism. Being there makes me feel like I'm in a different world. It's a pretty unbelievable experience, and even though Ive visited the Kotel several times, I am still overcome by emotion and a surge of spirituality for a few incredible moments. People cry, pray, wail and write private messages, curl them up and stick them in the crevices of the wall. Truly riveting.

I left Jerusalem exhausted from the long day yet touched and inspired by its uniqueness and enlightment it drove into my heart.

Young girl praying at the Kotel

Once we arrived home past sunset, a few of us decided to spoil ourselves at a dinner in Yafo at a unique spot called“Itzik Hagadol” (30 minute walk from home). Once you take a seat and “open the table” it is immediately loaded with unlimited and DELICIOUS salad dishes, such as hummus, grilled peppers, beat root, spicy carrots, of course Israeli salad and many more. All served with large plates of warm flat bread. Later you order from a selection of kebabs to accompany the plethora of dishes. All in all a meal well deserved. I ended my day exhausted, smiling, full and so content.

Day by day my learning experiences are growing, and my mind only gets stronger. I look forward to what tomorrow has to offer and embrace every experience that fate and Israel wish to send my way.

Shabbat Shalom.

2 comments:

  1. When people mention the three main religions of the world I automatically think of Christianity, Islam and Hinduism. I did not know that Jerusalem had any relevance to Hinduism.

    If we're talking about religions which arose from the Middle East then this is one area which is very famous for the 40,000 religions and prophets to emerge from the desert with 'god' in their eyes and on their tongues. Only the successes are exported.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ill specify three main religions in Jerusalem: Judiasm, Christianity, and Muslim.

    ReplyDelete