Saturday, May 9, 2009

A Trip to The Golan Heights (Nahal Gilaboon, Army outpost, Bannias)


If every day I felt as rejuvenated as I do night now... I would say a blessing. My past few days were pretty perfect; in a jump into nature, fill your days with laughter and say thank you for life sort of way. For example, picture a hazy green, yet clear river... probably about 30 or so feet wide, flowing currents, sweet in taste, nothing but lush green trees, bark and wilderness surrounding it. Then picture stepping inside one foot at a time and becoming part of the cold and invigorating water.
The currents ranged from tame to extremely vigorous. At one point I found myself gripping the bark above me for life, the pressure of the water was so strong that it made my little body literally parallel to the waters surface... there I was dangling from a branch, with souring waters beneath me and nothing but an enormous smile and non-stop laughter. I finally let go and in a second was launched into hero Joel’s arms (an Oranim participant)... I think many have reason to thank Joel today.

We had no raft, no inner tube, or even fluorescent pink floaties; just purely our bodies, strength and heart into walking, strolling, floating swimming, and taken by the purity of it all. While on the dirt path I learned how to build a wreath out of wild flowers (a girls gota look pretty wile hiking), dodge barbed wire, spot "caution land mine" signs and lastly learned to embrace walking with rocks in my shoes and pebbles in my toes. Today was immersed in blue skys, laughter, nature, whiney girls we had to tune out, incredible smiles, and best of all: The feeling that I wouldn’t want to be anywhere but here at this exact moment. The day, simply put, was truly beautiful.

Yesterday we went on a 5 hour hike climbing rocks, skipping on streams, walking on cliffs edge... where let me tell you one tiny slip on the rocky gravel and layla tov (good night). After some intense hiking we found ourselves face to face with a gorgeous waterfall. Unreal.

Prior to the hike in the Bannias, we visited a Drews army post. We were sitting where at one point in time was the battle field of the Yom Kippur War. It is now an Army base where all buildings are made of complete steel to protect the land from katyusha rockets coming from Syria (an ongoing threat to this day).


Writing on HUMMER: "How am I driving?"


All in all I came home refreshed and rejuvenated. I am continuously appreciating my youth, optimism and love of live. It’s really exciting taking in these little adventures and knowing each day I am shaping my mind and building my character.

No comments:

Post a Comment