Thursday, May 14, 2009

I Love Neve Tsedek





Neve Tsedek/Tel-Aviv:

Narrow winding lanes, colorful tiled walls, posh galleries, cafes, delightfully tiny hotels, artist studios and charming apartments. Most travel by bike, scooter and foot. The streets are narrow and each alley is home to gelaterias, fashionable boutiques, and unique architecture. Everything runs quite pricy here and although it is only a handful of blocks away from the hustle and bustle of the shook it is a completely different world.

Apparently Neve Tsedek is the first Jewish neighborhood of Tel Aviv founded in 1887. Under city guidelines most buildings are only allowed to be renovated, and in my opinion this is what makes this neighborhood so desirable. Many artists, writers and poets live here and if anyone decides to fork out some mmm (a lot of) cash, so will I. The neighborhood still retains much of its old charm, and is now one of the most expensive areas in Tel-Aviv.

One option I'll be willing to accept... =)


It was a very hot day, and after walking around and falling in love with the streets and the relaxed yet stylish lifestyle of the Neve Tsedeckers, I decided to be one. I dined at one of the appealing chic cafes and was surrounded by coworkers on a lunch break, a young couple in love (or lust, I couldn’t really decide), a student burried in a book, and a gorgeous man and wife sipping on mojitos. The café had wooden floors, a wine bar, a rare wallpaper (pictured) and tiny white tables on the pavement. I ordered a Greek Salad dressed in olive oil, zataar and lemon juice, topped with the most delicious feta cheese I have ever tasted. Yum!

Wallpaper in Cafe
A few neighborhood dogs roamed freely in and out of the café, and not one person even flinched. There I was at the cutest little restaurant ever, in a hip, yuppie part of town and dogs can liberally stroll in and out!? Love it! One even peed on the floor, and the owner just murmerd "ohh oh," grabbed some paper and wiped it clean, with the least amount of frustration. One of my peers made up a saying: “T.I.I” - This Is Israel. Anything can happen here, and I am slowly learning that everything will and nothing should be surprising.



Entrance to painters studio "I want to be a 7 year old too!"

No comments:

Post a Comment