Wednesday, August 5, 2009

My Yochay



How many times can this place amaze me... god I love the weirdness and strange events that come with living in this incredible city. Lets just say this morning I found myself taking sherut number 4 to the end of Ben Yehuda to find some random hair place on the Namal- (posh boardwalk in Tel-Aviv), all because last night I had a 15 minute convo and made friends with this fabulously flamboyant man who insisted on buying me wine and throwing me in his busy schedule to do my hair. Laughing over a glass of wine I told him I was here interning, I couln't possibly afford a place on the Namal.. "Baaaby don’t worry," he says, "My darling I will charge you close to nothing”.. Him and his friend were so dam charming that well... why not!

So in less than 24 hours post meeting Yochay, I found myself sitting in his chair ready to be one with his art.

I instantly felt like I was on one of those makeover shows thinking any minute my mom would pop out of the corner and say "Surrrprise! I wanted you to be spoiled for the day".. And I WAS spoiled, with Israeli flair. He daintily combed my hair, stroking it to the music... hilarious, immediately followed by giving me an intense head massage. He than began plucking, shaping, primping and flooding me with compliments. How did I get here...? I watched him chop and throw my hair around in an Edward scissor hands fashion, slightly afraid, yet with an uncanny feeling that I was allowed to trust this new bizarre friend of mine.

I spent a few good hours at Yochay’s hidden salon.. What a fabulous encounter. I took the long way home on foot, with a huge smile, strutting my new hair and awakened soul. After a month of hats, dirty clothes, and tennis shoes it felt magnificent to be surprisingly pampered

Later that evening I took a stroll down the shook to buy some flowers, as I peacefully people watched all the chaos and last minute shopping for Shabbat. It was then when I suddenly realized I have only 2 weeks left in Tel-Aviv. Oh no! I better soak this city up for all its worth!


G-Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment